A Health Insurance Guide For You And The Family
How Do I Obtain Care?
Learning what you can expect from your health plan and
how it works are key steps to getting the care you need.
Ask these questions:
- When are the offices open? What if I need care after hours?
- How do I make appointments? How quickly can I expect to be seen for illness or for routine care?
- If I need lab tests, are they done in the doctor's office or will I be sent to a laboratory?
- Will most of my appointments be with the primary care doctor?
- Will nurse practitioners or physician's assistants sometimes give care as well?
- Is there an advice hotline?
Some plans have toll-free phone services that help members
decide how to handle a problem that may not require a doctor's
visit. Find out how your plan provides care outside the service
area and what you must do to get care.
This is especially important if you travel often, are away
from home for long periods, or have family members away at